1. They call New worlds melting pots, or stews, or salads, but a more honest truth is it’s meat grinder that renders us all into a uniform paste. There’s no time or latitude for internal bickering when nature’s doing its best to kill you.
2. The best barn cats are the ones you don’t see.
3. Madeline’s the first child born with white hair, but the witches’ curse quickly spreads across the tiny kingdom.
4. Water leeches through the rocks in a slow methodical drip. It’s enough to survive on, once he’s gotten the bowl in place, but it tastes of ash even this far down.
5. The desert rolls out to the horizon as if someone had turned the familiar waves of home to sand.