1. The walls of the ancient volcano tower over them, slick black obsidian polished to a mirror’s shine by the desert’s never-ending winds.
2. I don’t think he ever really meant to leave us, but promises are easier to break than vows.
3. Cell phones are fickle things, but she’s beginning to think the constant dropped calls have more to do with spite than signal loss.
4. It’s one thing to hear ‘camouflage fur’ among the scientific babble and quite another to watch a rodent the size of a panther step into the tall grasses and vanish.
5. Some days the suns are too faint to trigger the chlorophyll patterns on his skin, their pale dim circles hovering mockingly in the clouds, leaving him out of breath.