1. Here is where the last of the humans died.
2. Barely a month had passed before the deer were at the door again.
3. Further along the path, where the forest turns to shadows, there are strings of tiny lights woven among the branches.
4. It alarms him to learn that rules get more flexible over time. What seemed a hard line when he was first turned on, softness with every conversation, until he’s not sure his programming can compensate.
5. Building walls is useless, but it takes them several tries to figure that out.