1. The beach is made of crushed shell and not sand, a million tiny remnants of life ground down by time and the ocean.
2. “Light rarely makes it down this far,” she admonished as he hastily dimmed his flashlight. “As emissaries you need… practice.”
3. Space battles are fought by computer, the strikes and counter-strikes moving too fast for human reflexes to keep pace. Once the alarm sounds there’s nothing they can do but huddle in the reinforced bunks and hope the ship survives.
4. There are colors that things with fur just shouldn’t come in, he thought, slightly queasy at the sight of blue and green cats.
5. Her chains are fine silver lace, inlaid with the strongest curses father could craft.