Live from the Workbench

By | February 8, 2018
Live From the Workbench 02-03-2018

Onwards and Upwards!

NaMoPaiMo (National Model Painting Month) has begun!

…which means I have promptly started procrastinating by working on all the other projects on my workbench. *facepalm*

Not so good for my little micro, who is still being prepped, but great for the rest of my ongoing projects. So I’ve got some Fat Ponies and Body Box horses and fencing and other fun updates for this week’s post! ๐Ÿ˜€

Fat Pony Magnets

Tiny Fat Pony Herd

Tiny Fat Pony Herd

First and foremost was the Fat Pony production line. I need to get 15 of them done for the Big Orange Bash donation and a bunch for the Etsy store, so I’ve been working on ways to make mass(ish) production easier.

To try and get things a little more uniform, I hashed out how I built a jig to make sure the magnets were levelย and consistently placed. It worked out quite well and now I’m tempted to build them for the other magnets as well… one thing at a time though. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The next step is to get a good setup for photographing these guys, so with luck I’ll have a tutorial up this week on that. I also need to do one on OOMOO, I didn’t realise I never wrote that series until I tried to crosslink it from the magnet jig post. *facepalm*

Model Horse Props

Model Horse Stablemate Scale Removable Wooden Fencing

Much fencing! Very wood!

As I mentioned in the last workbench post, I’ve finished up a bunch of pre-made removable fencing so I can bulk up the props section of the Etsy store. I finally got around to listing the Golden Oak and Dark Walnutย Template A fences in the store,ย but realized that I don’t have good ‘with a model’ pictures of them.

All of the horses I have on hand that are finished are very dark bays and it’s hard to get a good photo with the fencing.

I got two of the premade Template A fences up in the store, but realized that I don’t have good ‘with a model’ pictures of them. All of the horses I have on hand that are finished are very dark bays, so I grabbed the chestnut Dungaree out of the pile and started to finish her up.

Model Horses

Breyer Stablemate Thoroughbred and Dungaree Customs in Chestnut

Here we go again!

On a happy note that meant I also go myself back in the groove and was able to work on the chestnut thoroughbred from the body box trade! (Remember him? :D)

These two share most of the colors, so it made it easy to swap from one to the other as the details dried. I’m trying to resist making a second grass base for the TB, but I may have to give in… *pokes at base*

Anywho, beyond these two I have a whole host of horses that are ready for a turn in front of the camera. I’ve been rebuilding the light box (yet again) so hopefully I’ll manage to get some good pics of them soon.

NaMoPaiMo Pony!

2018 NaMoPaiMo Horse Maggie Bennett Micro Mini Jewel Prepping

Someday she’ll be bay…

And last but not least my NaMo pony… who is still in the midst of being prepped.

When the dust settles on February she should be a nice dark bay with a medium amount of tobiano white. I’m still waffling on just how much white– it will probably be decided by how well the dark bay turns out. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It’s very very odd to be working on one of Maggie’s Micros again. I did a few customs on the pewters, but for the most part I’ve been too paranoid of messing them up to try customizing.

But grabbing that 10 seconds of brave and trying something new is what NaMo is all about! ๐Ÿ˜€

So onwards….

Leave a Reply