Fat Dolphins #001-003
Behold the majesty of the sea!
These little guys were part of the ’round 2′ in the Fat Animal Magnet Christmas present lineup and I can’t remember if I made them or the Orcas first. (This is why I really shouldn’t wait a year to do posts! *facepalm*)
This was another sculpture that ended up needing some epoxy work after casting. For some reason the tips of the tails just didn’t want to cast, no matter how much I tried to de-air-bubble them. Hopefully once the second round of sculpting is done on it the new mold will be a bit better. 🙂
Live From the Workbench 11-01-2017
I’d love to say I can’t believe that I didn’t post a workbench update at all in October… but I’m not. Sheepish, yes, but astonished, no. At least I’m consistently inconsistent! 😉
So what have I been doing with all that time?
MAGNETS! 😀 (and handmade eraser stamps, and pourable silicone casting, and rebuilt lightboxes, and methods for fixing sticky sealer, and all sort of packaging experimentation, and, and, and…)
TL;DR — this is going to be a long post!
Fat MinPins #001-003
I had a blast last year making the Fat Animal Magnet as Christmas presents, but it’s taken me forever and a day to finish getting them all up on the blog. That’s what I get for painting 50ish things at a time, I suppose! 😉
Anywho, these cute little doggos were done as a portrait of a friend’s miniature pinscher. They have cropped ears and a docked tail, but I’ve got another natural version half-done. It’s a little alarming how many ‘new’ Fat Animals are still waiting in the wings…
I need to stop casting new ones and just finish up the ones I have!
Fat Songbirds #001-003
It’s been almost a year to the day to when I first painted these little guys! I really need to catch up on my blog entries… 😉
Back when I was first dreaming up the Fat Animal Magnet as last year’s Christmas presents, I was planning on just doing these little songbirds. But once I started playing around with the idea of Fat Animals… it snowballed from there!
Still, these guys were some of my favorites and I was a little torn on what species to pick when it came time to paint them. There are a lot of songbirds that will work with this general shape, although I really want to do a variation so I can have a fat Bluejays and Cardinals later.
Messy, but moving…
It’s been an art-free few weeks, but I’m finally getting some traction again. I’ve got two fencing tutorials roughed out (micro mini and improvements on the stablemate) and one in the ‘experimental’ stages (silicone rubber casting using Lego boxes).
Once I get the silicone casting figured out, there will be a lot more Fat Animal magnets on the horizon! I’m planning on primarily taking those to the art show in October with a bunch of faux-stone paint jobs so they look classy. *solemn nod*
Body Box Trade
There were only two new things I committed to working on this year: a beta read of a young adult novel and a group of model horse customs (the Body Box trade).
To date, I’ve finished neither. I’ve still got a fourth of the year to go and I’m going to do my best to finish both, but that is going to take up a lot of my free time and all my creative energy (outside of NaNoWriMo), so I’m offically throwing in the towel.
As of now I am not taking any new commission work for the rest of 2017 and all of 2018. Or until I sort myself out. I’ll be updating my Etsy listings to reflect this as I audit them in October and I apologize if anyone had been planning on requesting a commission for the holidays. 🙁
If you have work/projects with me, they will get done (I promise!), but I figured it was past time to admit that I’m not a good person to take timed commissions with. *sighs*
Here we go again…
It’s been a whirlwind of a week on the art desk and I’ve got a whole passel of updates to update about! 🙂
The first –and most obvious if you follow me on Facebook– is the resculpted G4 Stock Horse. I finished the sculpting (and lots and lots of prepping) and moved onto the painting… which is almost done. I’ve got a few tweaks to make to her tonight and then she should be headed off for a trip soon after.
I also made a secret project to ride along in the box with the portrait horse… I’ll post it here after it’s arrived. (Mwahaha!)
Rainbows of Equine Abstraction!
Of all the plaster casting galleries, this one was the hardest to sort out. I didn’t keep the best records for these guys so the numbering is based on when they appeared in my phosts and is approximate at best.
This was the very first ‘large’ horse head that I sculpted. I used it as a test in all of my molding and casting experiments. It was simple and stylized in order to make that casting as simple as possible and was made without using any references. It’s an unfiltered glimpse into what my brain thinks horses should look like! 😉
Index Card Model Horse Holders, gogogo!
Every so often I get the urge to be crafty and make storage containers for the various things on my art desk. I’ve made craft paint storage and tool/brush caddies and a stab at Stablemate shelving before… but I needed something better to hold my models-in-progress.
Thankfully my workbench hoarding tendencies are great for providing random supplies to build things! So I grabbed some index cards, white glue, scissors/X-acto knife, and a ruler and got to work making some WiP stalls.
Learning new tricks!
I’ve made a good deal of progress on the G4 Stock Horse custom and I’m just tickled pink on the way it’s turning out. She’s got a new pose, three new hooves (the fourth is still being resculpted), new ears and a new nose… it’s a total makeover! 😀
Well, total-ish. 😉