Hark, an Octopus!
I tried combining caulk and cornstarch back at the beginning of my 100% Silicone Caulk mold making adventures… and it was dismal failure. It never set completely and ended up sticking to the sculpture.
But the more I did research into the casting and molding world the more I came across articles and YouTube videos insisting it worked, so I figured it was time to try again!
The tl;dr story is that this works exceptionally well for making molds of sturdy objects that you are looking to cast in resin. It doesn’t work well for for fragile objects, because of the amount of pressure required or for plaster casting (without a release agent) since that sticks to the molds (boo!).
As always, click the pictures to embiggen! 🙂
Water + Plaster of Paris + Wood Glue + Paint = Kittenloafs!
I’ve been having a lot of fun playing around with casting using a mixture of plaster of paris and wood glue. But since I’m starting to try and figure out how much things really cost to make it’s time to finesse the mix so it’s a bit more consistent… Bring on the grade school science experimentation!
So I’m spending roughly $12.00 in the name of SCIENCE!
For this experiment I am using the kittenloaf mold. It takes roughly two tablespoons of plaster mix, which matches up well to the two tablespoon size of the resin casting cups I got from the Alumilite™ Amazing Casting Resin. Besides, who doesn’t need more plaster cats in their life? 😉
Plaster Molds after the wax was removed
A friend of mind built a DIY forge to melt aluminum cans and play with casting things. They didn’t mind if I played along… but to cast aluminum you need sand and plaster molds. Thankfully that’s something right up my alley!
Or at least in the same neighborhood. 😉
Previously I’ve made plaster positive casts from 100% Silicone Caulk molds, but these would need to be negative casts, so I decided it was time to play with lost wax casting.
As always, click for much larger photos! Continue reading
Messy is Good!
Update: Come check out the experimentation that led to my current recipe!
At last, the casting post (that isn’t Hot Glue) is upon us!
As you probably guessed from my Making a 100% Silicone Caulk Mold and the follow-up post, I’ve been happily dabbling in the world of ‘making art desks messy’ for a few weeks now.
As I mentioned in the earlier posts, I’m focusing in on the cheaper casting methods right now because I’m still in the learning curve. I’m not willing to waste a $20 resin kit, but I’m sure as heck willing to play with a $5 bucket of Plaster of Paris.
So time to share what I’ve learned… *rolls up sleeves* Continue reading
Mold ALL the things!
I’m working on the Plaster of Paris casting post, I swear!
I just keep getting sidetracked with all the fun things you can do with caulk… and on that note, here’s a follow-up to the first post on this topic.
I’m now halfway through my third tube of caulk and using the bucket of soapy water to cure the Silicone is still my go-to method. Someday I’ll try the cornstarch method again, but I’ve learned a few other fun things while experimenting.
As always, click to embiggen! 😀
Topics Below: Coloring Silicone Caulk, Casting Silicone Caulk in Plaster Molds, Making Plaster Mother Molds, Push and Press Mold Making, Hot Glue Molds Continue reading