Portrait Horse: Queen Esther
I’ve found it endlessly fascinating that I very rarely do work on Classic or larger scale models, but I have zero qualms about taking custom commissions at those scales. For some reason the amount of work seems so much larger when I’m not doing it for someone else! 😉
This little gal was a lot of fun to paint, but a real pain to photograph. She’s a red chestnut, but there’s a smidge less red and and so much more shading in her coat that just didn’t come out in the photos. Thankfully the person who ordered her was willing to take my word for that and left my a lovely review.
As has been the habit, she has a Facebook Gallery that documents the various steps from original model to the lovely lady you see to the left. Having those galleries has done wonders for my confidence level around the ‘ugly’ stage of each model. All I have to do is look back and see that no really, the last horse also looked this bad at the same point… and off I go! 🙂
This little gal has been a looooong time in the making!
Evangelina was a custom order that I started back in March but one thing led to another and I didn’t get her finished until September. From her teeny tiny spots to her striped hooves, this little gal took a lot of cross-eyed nights to pull off. (I really need to get a magnifying glass headset).
She was the first realistic leopard appaloosa that I’ve done in a long time and it was fun running around Google digging up good reference photos. I know it makes me a dinosaur, but I remember what it was like pre-Google and it’s such a happy feeling to have things right at my fingertips!
The basecoat was done in white, grey, and a little hint of pink. Then the basic shape of the spots were laid down so I could get owner’s approval on the pattern. But stark black on white looks really fake… so I went back over all of them and added mapping, cleaned up the edges, and white-washed a few of them. That got rid of the contrast of the initial layout and made her look a little more realistic.
Medium: Gesso, FolkArt Acrylics (944 Nutmeg, 708 Dove Gray, 2905 Cinnamon, 425 Medium Gray, 420 Linen), Apple Barrel (20504 Black, 20258 Melted Chocolate), CraftSmart (Coral)
This little gal has been hanging out in my body box for a loooong time…
Every so often I will buy bulk lots of stablemates off of eBay and that’s where this little gal came from. Eclipse was half-painted and prepped with what I think was automotive primer. Other (saner) folks might have let her go as a casualty of war, but I wasn’t about to give up the fight!
So after several baths of Easy Off, scrubs with a toothbrush, and many a long battle with sandpaper, she was ready for paint again. I prepped her as best I could, but she’s just too rough in places to do much beyond hold sway over a bookshelf herd. So no Photo Shows or Live Shows for this gal, alas.
Prepping Breyer Mini Whinnies
There’s nothing quite as much fun as opening a Breyer Mini Whinnie Surprise blind bag and seeing what pops out!
Well, okay, I fib– most of the fun is finding out which unsuspecting body I get to paint. Mwahahaha! 😉
But preparing a Mini for paint isn’t the same as prepping a Stablemate (or larger scale). These guys have a few weird quirks of their own. Since I wasn’t finding much info online when I searched I figured I should get off my duff and put a page together…
Jane of Aces
She might be a simple brown horse, but this little gal is no Plain Jane. As a filly she always dreamed of flying and if you give her a pasture to run in and she’ll show you her dog fighting moves!
This little gal is named after the flying aces of old, although she’s got more in common with Snoopy than the real Red Baron. If you have a work desk or a bookshelf in dire need equine daydreams, then look no further, this little gal is here to save the day!
Jane is a rich medium bay with only a small stripe on her forehead and snip on her nose. Her Breyer logo was removed and seams sanded, but nothing else was done to the mold. Jane has realistic glossed eyes and uncarved hooves. She is one of my attempts at painting horses using only acrylic craft paints, so no pastels here… although I did stoop to using colored pencils to detail her hooves.