This little gal is Breyer Stablemate G3 Belgian and a show donation to M.O.M. Live held on May 17th, in Black River Falls, WI. She’s also the first finished customer of 2014! (We’ll ignore the fact that she’s also the only horse I finished 1st Quarter. *sighs*)
She’s unnamed, at least until I hear otherwise, but her workbench name has been Dammitall Dapples– because I’ve never tried painting a true dapple bay before and she was quite an adventure. Dammitall was a fun combination of the first finished custom on this mold and the first time I’ve tried painting this color. Dappled bay turns out to be not quite as impossible as dappled gray, but it’s a pretty thin line.
I started out planning to do her mostly in acrylics, but the dappling issues caused me to break out the Prismacolor pencils as well as the pastels. Thankfully the combination of the three mediums worked out well, but she’s actually a lot less red than she looks in the photos (hence the overabundance of them). Continue reading