1. “You have to ask twice,” he laughed as she glared at the ashed remains of her burnt offering,” nothing immortal is listening well enough to hear it the first time.”
2. The King’s Dance is a dual, not a duet, and the courts can only watch as in mandated silence as the new crown prince is chosen.
3. It’s not that nothing happens here, there’s always something happening no matter how small the town, it’s that nothing new happens. Everyone is settled into ruts generations deep and it’s going to take more than one teenager’s wanderlust to shake them loose.
4. Four miles later the last of the horses died.
5. It would have been a perfect job if it hadn’t been for those darned owls!
2. Dancing isn’t a formal thing here, instead it’s a series of ever evolving moves passed on from town to town and invented on a whim. He lurks on the edges of the happy chaos, too used to the regimented dance halls of home.
3. “I don’t think you’re listening to me.”
“Good catch, I’m not.”
“This is important, lives are at stake!”
“I know, why do you think I’m ignoring you? Let me work.”
4. Robots can’t do everything, at least not yet, so there’s still plenty of work to be done in the colonies. She might not be skilled, but she’s one heck of a handyman and it keeps her fed as she wanders the planet.
5. Sundown is beginning of their day, until the predators are asleep it’s too dangerous to work.
1. He has a hard time letting go, even after time grinds the stones to sand around him. Love doesn’t come easily to Gods.
2. “It’s not war until the public is uncomfortable.” She said with an amused snort, “Until that point it’s just a ‘conflict’ or a ‘peacekeeping mission’– a show of force someplace far away. Your job is to stop the bad guys, mine’s to keep anyone from noticing you’re doing it.”
3. Normal children have a multitude of yearnames to disguise them from the evil spirits and keep them safe. I’ve only had one name, but the demons refuse to take me.
4. She loved repairing antiques. There was something immeasurably satisfying about bringing the furniture back to its former glory. So few things were handmade anymore, much less decades or centuries old.
5. Learning to walk on four legs is only slightly easier than learning to walk on two. Mageforms don’t come with the instinctual skills of true shapeshifters.
1. Cooking is the one thing he can lose himself in. It takes all of his concentration to handle the intricate dance of keeping multiple dishes going and in the midst of the chaos he can finally forget.
2. There are years scattered among the bones, unused and forfeit. She gobbles them up in greedy handfuls.
3. The winds on the tops of the mountains howl by them, tradewinds that spur the constant cloud movement stratified below. Nothing survives here but the iron mountain itself.
4. Laundry wasn’t anything he gave much thought to before the transition, now he’s constantly aware of how many changes of clean clothing he has left.
5. The world is unfair, she knows that; she’s lived through the proof too many times to count, but it still catches her off guard.