1. The whales breach from the ocean in spiraling arcs, turning the vampiric leeches to ash in the scattered heartbeats they are above the waves.
2. Life is made of nothing but regrets, countless hours spent staring into the darkness before sleep claims us replaying everything we could have– should have done.
3. In retrospect the fact her ex-boyfriend could never connect to her home wireless really ought to have been a sign. She’s not sure if the sign was leaning more towards ‘your boyfriend is an ass’ or ‘your network has developed an artificial intelligence and thinks your boyfriend is an ass’.
4. She just looks at me for a moment and then turns away. The I told you so she doesn’t say burns worse than salamander’s fire.
1. You aren’t supposed to fire people by text message, but she really wasn’t sure what she’d expected.
2. Venom drips from the dragon’s fangs as it yawns, decorating the boulder with splashes of gold. Its mouth stretches wide enough to swallow even the largest of the pack beasts in a single bite. All they can do is wait and hope it falls back asleep.
3. The war is an ever-present context in a way he’d forgotten from his childhood. It shows every conversation, every breath.
4. The seasonal migration of the tribal bands is marked by crops, planted months and sometimes years ahead of time. For as long as she can remember food has always been there to welcome them home, until today.
5. “You won’t forget me”, he said dismissively, “don’t bother trying.”
1. The stars take our best and brightest and grind them to dust.
2. “The best stories start with ‘if only,'” she said, carefully unwinding the yarn. “Always trade for those, if you can. Never barter for what did happen, at best those tales are just old news and at worse are full of lies.”
3. You can buy anything in the bazaar. Nothing is illegal in these winding streets, but in a very carefully controlled way, so as not to offend.
4. Distance weapons are dishonorable, inherently evil in their very nature and she shivers as she touches the bow.
5. Wavelengths aren’t quite the same here and colors are flatly muted, some shades missing altogether. It hasn’t seemed to bother the plants, but the resulting off-color jungle makes for a surreal landscape.