And lo, upon the waves rode a rainbow of dolphin awesomeness!
Well okay, more like half a rainbow, give or take. (The awesome half, of course 😉 ).
I’ve been pretty much addicted to this color combination ever since I tried it out on the Pimped Rides Live model horse donation piece. As soon as I started playing around with the dolphins, I knew it was one I had to try out.
Some fantasy dolphins love to stand out, but this little guy is all about blending into the oceans deep. With a marbled flow of the currents and the splash of seafoam white his impression of a wave has everyone fooled!
An almost-twin to Dolphin #001, his pattern is modeled after the Dusky Dolphin (Lagenorhynchus obscurus). These svelte mammals normally come in black, grey and white, but where’s the fun in that?
So instead of monotone, I painted him in amusingly ocean themed acrylics (Island Blue, Sailing Sky, and Ocean Breeze). His back is a less nautical black, but like a tux it makes him look quite dashing in a crowd.
Normally I donate custom model horses to model horse live shows, but this time around I figured a small herd of Fat Pony magnets might be more fun! 🙂
I’ve made donations for Big Orange Bash (Knoxville, TN) before and I’m more than happy to keep them hock deep in magnets or models. The show is a fund raiser for the Large Animal Clinic at the University of Tennessee’s College of Veterinary Medicine and if my silly little horses can help, how can I pass that up?
I went for a full fantasy herd this time around, in homage to my past donations, and tried to get as much variation as I could into the ranks. Part of this was because I was going to use the photos in the Etsy store, so two birds (err, 11 fat ponies) with one stone!
It’s May and I still have a bunch of these old posts left to catch up on! Yikes! O_O;
Most of my relatives are from Buffalo, NY so when it came time to picking critters for the Fat Animal Magnets for Christmas, these guys were a shoe-in! 🙂
I made an extra buffalo because I figured I’d need at least one more and it turned out that I probably should have doubled the herd. I still have another Bills buffalo in the pipeline and to be honest now I really want one of my own…
This mold had a lot of issues with the horns, but that was mostly because I was casting these quickly. So the amount of resculpting on the Christmas presents was a lot higher than the ones I’m prepping now. I’m actually torn on if I should make another mold of this guy or just wait until I finish the resculpt. (It seems there are always things I want to improve on once I get the resin cast out! 🙂 )
Sometimes you need a little bit of whimsy in the realistic lineup and this tiny little guy was it! (Amusingly I bought the TOOB of animals back in December of 2013, but I didn’t finish painting him until this January! Procrastinating artist is procrastinating.)
He’s had his seams touched up, but not completely removed and the Safari logo is still on his tummy. It’s hard to work around the fur texture and this isn’t meant to be a show piece so I wasn’t as militant about prepping as I usually am. 🙂
Christmas is a time for inflicting crafts on loving relatives, so when December rolled around last year I grabbed some resin and started making magnets! I didn’t get the best of photos of these little guys, so I probably should bug family for some updates. 😉
These four little guys were the first finished copies of this mold, although I had done a bunch of plaster casting prior to this. The plaster was having a lot of problems (this was before I perfected the mixture) and I figured the resin copies would be a safer alternative.
The metal ‘ornaments’ that they are magnet-attached to are the same metal disks you can see behind my Etsy magnets. I painted them with acrylics and sealed with a matte finish. I was playing around with christmas colors, but also trying to make them look like gas giants. If I had them to do over, I’d have used a metal primer instead of trying to work with the gesso. Even with my layers of finish they are prone to scratching. 🙁
Alas, I have lost my art notebook (Volume I) so I’m not sure what colors I used, although I can guess for most of them. Notes on materials are below each horse and I’ll update them when I find the book.
Earth is a custom order done in the same blue-bay tobiano as Partly Cloudy. She has show-blacked hooves, a thin blaze, solid black eyes and a glossy finish.
She’s only the second time I’ve painted a Breyer Mini Whinnies High Stepping Saddlebred Mare, it’s a mold I really like, but just haven’t has a chance put under a paintbrush. It also means Earth’s only an inch tall and the photos below are several times life-sized!
The problem I run into whenever I paint these little guys is that the camera captures defects I can’t always fix– someday I’ll manage to pull off customs just the way they look in my head, but alas for now I’m still learning! 🙂
Medium: Gesso, Liquitex Artist Color Acrylics (Gesso, Mars Black, Light Blue Violet, Ultramarine Blue), FolkArt (720 Cobalt Blue) Continue reading →
No bigger than a penny, this little gal sports one heck of an attitude– a prefect match for one of the names dreamed up in my Facebook group! (After a couple hundred horses, I sometimes get stuck on naming these little guys. ;)) Continue reading →