Normally I donate custom model horses to model horse live shows, but this time around I figured a small herd of Fat Pony magnets might be more fun! 🙂
I’ve made donations for Big Orange Bash (Knoxville, TN) before and I’m more than happy to keep them hock deep in magnets or models. The show is a fund raiser for the Large Animal Clinic at the University of Tennessee’s College of Veterinary Medicine and if my silly little horses can help, how can I pass that up?
I went for a full fantasy herd this time around, in homage to my past donations, and tried to get as much variation as I could into the ranks. Part of this was because I was going to use the photos in the Etsy store, so two birds (err, 11 fat ponies) with one stone!
He’s one of my ‘break off the background’ versions, so there will never been another pony quite like this one! (Plaster won’t do a ‘no-background’ version without the tail breaking off, alas.)
He was painted into a dun frame overo using Craft Smart Tan for the basecoat and Apple Barrel 20504 Black and Sargent Art chalk pastels for the dark markings. Pastels are such an easy way to blend light colors into black that I’ve defaulted to always using them.
Christmas is a time for inflicting crafts on loving relatives, so when December rolled around last year I grabbed some resin and started making magnets! I didn’t get the best of photos of these little guys, so I probably should bug family for some updates. 😉
These four little guys were the first finished copies of this mold, although I had done a bunch of plaster casting prior to this. The plaster was having a lot of problems (this was before I perfected the mixture) and I figured the resin copies would be a safer alternative.
The metal ‘ornaments’ that they are magnet-attached to are the same metal disks you can see behind my Etsy magnets. I painted them with acrylics and sealed with a matte finish. I was playing around with christmas colors, but also trying to make them look like gas giants. If I had them to do over, I’d have used a metal primer instead of trying to work with the gesso. Even with my layers of finish they are prone to scratching. 🙁
Alas, I have lost my art notebook (Volume I) so I’m not sure what colors I used, although I can guess for most of them. Notes on materials are below each horse and I’ll update them when I find the book.
This little guy earned his name after a long drawn out battle to try and photograph him. I have a love-hate relationship with my camera when it comes to certain colors… and it looks like I’m going to have to add yellow to that list! Continue reading →
Make: Breyer Scale: Mini Whinnie Mold: Cutting Stock Mare Color: Green-bay Frame Overo Gallery: Fantasy Overo Medium: Gesso, Liquitex Artist Color Acrylics (Gesso, Mars Black, Emerald Green, Green Light Permanent, Yellow Oxide) Status: Painted May 2012 and For Sale
This little gal was painted in-between work on the show donations and turned out pretty darned nifty! Her working name was Lil’Apple Tart, but I figured Alamode (à la mode) was more accurate once the chrome appeared. Continue reading →