NaMoPaiMo 2017 Doggo Disaster
November had come to a close (with very little artwork accomplished) and I was raring to go! The art desk was clean, the lightbox was rebuilt, and it was the first weekend after NaNo!
…And then my dog ate my NaMoPaiMo (National Model Painting Month) project from last year. And that pretty much killed my ability to do anything creative at all.
It’s one thing to know on some low level that artwork is a temporary thing, but there’s a certain pessimism that comes with having to embrace the fact that you put hours of work into something that can be destroyed in seconds. *sighs*
Live From the Workbench 11-01-2017
I’d love to say I can’t believe that I didn’t post a workbench update at all in October… but I’m not. Sheepish, yes, but astonished, no. At least I’m consistently inconsistent! 😉
So what have I been doing with all that time?
MAGNETS! 😀 (and handmade eraser stamps, and pourable silicone casting, and rebuilt lightboxes, and methods for fixing sticky sealer, and all sort of packaging experimentation, and, and, and…)
TL;DR — this is going to be a long post!
Messy, but moving…
It’s been an art-free few weeks, but I’m finally getting some traction again. I’ve got two fencing tutorials roughed out (micro mini and improvements on the stablemate) and one in the ‘experimental’ stages (silicone rubber casting using Lego boxes).
Once I get the silicone casting figured out, there will be a lot more Fat Animal magnets on the horizon! I’m planning on primarily taking those to the art show in October with a bunch of faux-stone paint jobs so they look classy. *solemn nod*
Here we go again…
It’s been a whirlwind of a week on the art desk and I’ve got a whole passel of updates to update about! 🙂
The first –and most obvious if you follow me on Facebook– is the resculpted G4 Stock Horse. I finished the sculpting (and lots and lots of prepping) and moved onto the painting… which is almost done. I’ve got a few tweaks to make to her tonight and then she should be headed off for a trip soon after.
I also made a secret project to ride along in the box with the portrait horse… I’ll post it here after it’s arrived. (Mwahaha!)
Learning new tricks!
I’ve made a good deal of progress on the G4 Stock Horse custom and I’m just tickled pink on the way it’s turning out. She’s got a new pose, three new hooves (the fourth is still being resculpted), new ears and a new nose… it’s a total makeover! 😀
Well, total-ish. 😉
Live From the Clean Workbench 07-31-2017
There’s nothing like a nice clean workbench to start off the month! 🙂
…But I have a lot of messy workbench love as well, since it means things are getting done. I’m going to try and take daily workbench photos this month so I can make a silly gif at the end of it.
Not too much to talk about since the last update, most of the work I’ve been doing has been on the two body box horses, touching up older pieces to get them ready for Etsy, and the Paint Chip Pony herd. So this post is more ‘to do’ rather than ‘have done’.
Somewhere under than mess is ART! 😀
It’s been two months since the last workbench post… which means there is a metric ton of things that have happened in the meantime. And at the same time there’s a bunch of stuff that hasn’t happened. One of which would be the weekly update posts. 😉
I’ve been trying to keep up with the picture posting on the Facebook page so the folks with custom orders can see what’s going on, but even that has been a little hit or miss. Still, every day is a new chance to get better at both, so here’s the to a clean slate!
It will never look this clean again…
I am always amused when I finally get around to posting a workbench update that it tends to run roughly a month between these posts. I never plan on it, I really mean to get into a weekly update at some point, but so far that’s not happening.
Anywho, it’s been a busy month! If you hang out over on the Facebook page you’ve seen a bunch of photos go by, and if not… that’s what these sum-ups are for. 😉
So onwards into the chaos!
Live From the Workbench 03-24-2017
It’s been awhile since the last LFtW update! I’ve been in a ‘real’ picture-taking slump ever since I moved locations for the art desk and the weather has been great out recently (on and off) but too windy to do outdoor photo shoots.
So we’ll have to make do with cell phone camera pics for now (sorry!).
Between losing both a friend and a dog in the same week and then volunteering as staff for Katsucon… February was a rough haul. I got very little done even though it was an art challenge month! 🙁
But March was a bit better and I started to pick up steam again…
Live From the Workbench 01-31-2017
Messy workbenches look so much classier in black and white! 😀
But as messy as it looks… January has not been a good month for finishing art.
I’ve been starting a handful of new projects, but it’s all been pretty piecemeal. Except for the small flurry of activity earlier this week, I haven’t moved too many things from the ‘pending’ to ‘completed’ piles. (And there’s been zero movement from the ‘completed’ to the Etsy store. *sighs*).
But February will hopefully be more of an adventure thanks to NaMoPaiMo (National Model Painting Month)! I’m going to be focusing on model horses and the last few overdue Fat Animal Magnet presents, so we’ll see how it goes… *crosses fingers*