It’s a Camp NaNoWriMo month, but so far I haven’t gotten much writing done!
I was going to do a quick ‘state of the writing desk’ sum-up post to raise my spirits when it occurred to me that almost everything I’ve written since the last update had been posted to Wattpad.
I’ve been using Wattpad as a place to post MuseFic-centered writing, since I assume it’s the least likely to be stolen. Sure, there’s sometimes an actual story rough draft in there, but folks are (probably) too lazy to dig it out and repost it.
Only… I haven’t been posting those same stories here. Which is a tad worrisome, I don’t want to end up where I’m missing writing from the archives again. So there will be a little spam as the week goes by as I play catch-up (and hopefully write new words!).
Half-imagined Never Afters
It was quite lovely to take a month off after the chaos of NaNoWriMo, but my success in posting once a day with [Placeholder] has given me overly optimistic views going forward.
In fact I started out with the crazy goal of continuing to post daily, but since 2017 is my year of ‘stop over-committing to things you doof’, I decided that was a bit much. Right now I’m going to make a point to sit down every night with the intent to work on some writing… and see where it goes from there.
The main plans are thusly: Wattpad, 52 in 52, NaNoWriMos, Scribophile
I’m trying to get back into the habit of writing again, so time for another Random Roll! (I’m using the six-sided dice over at Random.org because I still have found my whilst unpacking.)
6. Fan Fiction (Filing off the serial numbers)
1. Hushed and White With Snow
And… whew. Of all the fan fiction on the list to end up with, this one will be the hardest to unravel because it depends on existing relationships between the characters and elements that are specific to the show.
The one saving grace is that it was also a drastic departure from the normal canon of the show and it is still a WiP, so is mostly outline. Should be a fun experiment to redo! 🙂
I’ve been mucking about editing/revising/curing at the draft of The Wolves We Are for quite a while now. Finding the green folder with the current be-scribbled draft in it was actually a nice surprise while unpacking, but I really haven’t done anything other than flip through it in months (years?).
Then I got an email from NaNoWriMo the other day reminding me that my Winner’s Goodies from last November’s win are going to expire at the end of the month, so I figured I’d better get cracking.
The free book from CreateSpace is going to be a dump of all the story prompts, daily snippits, and flash fiction that I’ve done to date. (I’m calling it The Really Big Book Of Very Tiny Stories!) But then I decided I’d really like for final version of The Wolves We Are to be in it as well.
Which means I have to actually finish the thing… darnit.
So I picked up a free 30 days trial of Scrivener with the option to buy it at 50% off if it works. (Once again, yay for winner’s goodies!) Now all I have to do is get all my crazy doodling out of the green folder version and into the digital one.
And then probably print it right back out again… I’m still not 100% sure the idea of editing without colored markers is possible. *pokes draft*
But I might finally have a ‘finished’ version that I can put up as an Ebook, so keep your fingers crossed for me! 🙂
This year’s NaNoWriMo has turned into another series of short stories and that’s sent me digging back into the vaults to see which outlines are ripe for word counts. I didn’t plan for the first story to die out at 10k, or the second to round out a 5k, so I’m needing some serious story bones right now…
So far I have finished off
- The Tear’s of Winter — New universe, 10kish
- Werewolf Sick Days — Tales of the Drunken Unicorn, 5kish
Older Stuff I have I can work on
- Last Requests — Nothing done on this one other than the really rough outline
- Chewtoys — Plenty of room for prose expansion on ‘this is what happened’ sum-up bits
- Silverwitch — very very rough idea of where it was going, so lots of room to run
- The Ties That Bind — Lots to prose out still, but it might be better to finish Silverwitch instead of working on the sequel
- Inheritance — Still needs a lot of prose written, but the story itself has issues, might be good to work those out in a NaNo rush.
- Natural Instincts — Almost no prose done, pretty much an untouched universe so lots of room to wiggle
- Three Tequila, Floor — Lots of room to run here, very vaguely roughed out. Also bonus for being in the same ‘verse as Werewolf Sick Days (TotDU)
- The Wolves of Windsor Dorm — Only a very loose idea, but I keep referring to it in the other TotDU stories
I have a few other stories in the wings, but I think I’ll start with these and roll out the others as needed! 🙂