Normally I donate custom model horses to model horse live shows, but this time around I figured a small herd of Fat Pony magnets might be more fun! 🙂
I’ve made donations for Big Orange Bash (Knoxville, TN) before and I’m more than happy to keep them hock deep in magnets or models. The show is a fund raiser for the Large Animal Clinic at the University of Tennessee’s College of Veterinary Medicine and if my silly little horses can help, how can I pass that up?
I went for a full fantasy herd this time around, in homage to my past donations, and tried to get as much variation as I could into the ranks. Part of this was because I was going to use the photos in the Etsy store, so two birds (err, 11 fat ponies) with one stone!
It’s May and I still have a bunch of these old posts left to catch up on! Yikes! O_O;
Most of my relatives are from Buffalo, NY so when it came time to picking critters for the Fat Animal Magnets for Christmas, these guys were a shoe-in! 🙂
I made an extra buffalo because I figured I’d need at least one more and it turned out that I probably should have doubled the herd. I still have another Bills buffalo in the pipeline and to be honest now I really want one of my own…
This mold had a lot of issues with the horns, but that was mostly because I was casting these quickly. So the amount of resculpting on the Christmas presents was a lot higher than the ones I’m prepping now. I’m actually torn on if I should make another mold of this guy or just wait until I finish the resculpt. (It seems there are always things I want to improve on once I get the resin cast out! 🙂 )
Christmas is a time for inflicting crafts on loving relatives, so when December rolled around last year I grabbed some resin and started making magnets! I didn’t get the best of photos of these little guys, so I probably should bug family for some updates. 😉
These four little guys were the first finished copies of this mold, although I had done a bunch of plaster casting prior to this. The plaster was having a lot of problems (this was before I perfected the mixture) and I figured the resin copies would be a safer alternative.
The metal ‘ornaments’ that they are magnet-attached to are the same metal disks you can see behind my Etsy magnets. I painted them with acrylics and sealed with a matte finish. I was playing around with christmas colors, but also trying to make them look like gas giants. If I had them to do over, I’d have used a metal primer instead of trying to work with the gesso. Even with my layers of finish they are prone to scratching. 🙁
Alas, I have lost my art notebook (Volume I) so I’m not sure what colors I used, although I can guess for most of them. Notes on materials are below each horse and I’ll update them when I find the book.
Make: Breyer Scale: Stablemate Mold: Andalusian (G2) Color: Dark Red Bay Gallery: Solid Color Medium: Liquitex Acrylics (Gesso, Naphthol Crimson, Ivory Black, Burnt Sienna) and Sargent Art Chalk Pastels Status: Painted March 2012 and For Sale
I know, I know, I’ve broken my musicalnamingtheme with this little fella, but when I tried to give him a nice Cantata or Requiem he objected. Some horses aren’t meant for fancy names, I suppose! Continue reading →
Feuertänzer is German for Fire Dancer, which fits this little guy to a T. He’s a shaded red-orange faux-chestnut with orange, yellow, and red doodle pony markings. Since the markings use the same colors as his coat, the shadings are now a little hard to see. He’s definitely one of the models that looks better in person! Continue reading →
Originally painted back in the early 2000’s this little gal has gone back under the brush to fix some rubs and bring her up to current standards! She might have been a snappy dresser before, but this time I think she’s really nailed the look…
Money started out as a basic red bay, then turned into a red buckskin with reverse dappling, and is now a much smuttier buckskin with milder dappling. Her white and silver ribbons didn’t survive the new round of pastels, so I’ve repainted them to a nice mottled green. I was planning to go back with copper crosshatching, but I think she looks pretty dapper as is. Continue reading →
Make: Breyer Scale: Stablemate Mold: Standardbred/Pacer (G2) Color: Orange-Red Dun Gallery: Solid Colors Medium: Acrylics Status: Painted 2004 and Sold December 2004
This little guy was my second attempt at the orange-red dun coloration that first appeared on Sonata Sunrise. Even though I’m not fond of orange, I really liked the way she turned out and wanted to give it another go. Continue reading →