Normally I donate custom model horses to model horse live shows, but this time around I figured a small herd of Fat Pony magnets might be more fun! 🙂
I’ve made donations for Big Orange Bash (Knoxville, TN) before and I’m more than happy to keep them hock deep in magnets or models. The show is a fund raiser for the Large Animal Clinic at the University of Tennessee’s College of Veterinary Medicine and if my silly little horses can help, how can I pass that up?
I went for a full fantasy herd this time around, in homage to my past donations, and tried to get as much variation as I could into the ranks. Part of this was because I was going to use the photos in the Etsy store, so two birds (err, 11 fat ponies) with one stone!
Resisting the temptation to name this guy Orange You Glad I Didn’t Say Banana was very very hard… but I prevailed!
Solskin is Danish for ‘sunshine’ and that name fit this little guy like a glove. (When in doubt Google Translate is a great place to dig up interesting nomenclature.) He is one of the older pre-2012 residents of my workbench and the first horse of 2016 to get finished.
He started out as a shaded yellow coat that I meant to add dark points to, but once I started in on the orange pastel shading I couldn’t bring myself to cover up his legs with black. So his faux-bay is a little more faux, but I think he still looks pretty dapper!
Solskin is rarity among my fantasy customs because he lacks the normal high gloss finish. I was going to gloss him up, but when I hit him with the final Dulllcote to check for issues he just looked to handsome to re-gloss.
This is yet another long overdue post for a horse that I finished in 2015… way back in January to be exact. Like a canary escaping a coal mine, this little gal has finally made it out of the body box off my art desk!
She has been sitting forlorn and basecoated yellow for almost ten years waiting for inspiration to strike. I had planned on making her a faux-bay with dark points and sabino markings, but somewhere along the way she decided that being a doodle pony was a lot more fun.
She’s had her seams sanded and logo removed, but I didn’t do any additional carvings to her ears or hooves. Chrome’s been painted in acrylics and sealed with a matte finish– one of the only Doodle Ponies without gloss! She has enough shine on her own and I just couldn’t bring myself to add anymore.
Medium: Liquitex Artist Color Acrylics (Gesso, Mars Black), Apple Barrel Acrylics (20586 Canary Yellow), Micron pen.
This little guy earned his name after a long drawn out battle to try and photograph him. I have a love-hate relationship with my camera when it comes to certain colors… and it looks like I’m going to have to add yellow to that list! Continue reading →